Using Wireless at Argonne
Getting online wirelessly at Argonne
Connect to the Wireless Network. A card configured to connect to any open wireless network (typically the default configuration for any card) will work here. Use the Argonne-guest network if you're not an Argonne employee.
- Open your web browser and try to visit a page.
- Fill in the fields and submit the form.
- After 60 seconds, your computer should get a new network address.
Note: The registration is tied to the computer, or more specifically, the network interface inside the computer and not the individual. You will have to do this for all of your computers you wish to use on the Argonne wireless network.
Once you are on the network, there are some things of which you should be aware.
- Unless you use a VPN, you will not be able to send mail using your outside ISP unless you checked the box specifying that. The specific details are that we block access to outgoing traffic on TCP port 25 in an effort to mitigate any damage should a virus infiltrate our network.
- Unless you use a VPN, you will not be able to access any windows shares. The specific details of this rule is that we block outgoing traffic on all NetBIOS ports for the same reason.
- All hosts on the network are firewalled. Your computer will not be generally accessible to the internet at large, but aside from the exceptions above, your computer should have generally free outbound access. You probably won't notice this (aside from sending e-mail), but we tell you in case some things don't work as you expect.
- The Argonne Wireless network is considered offsite for purposes of the firewall and access to MCS. It is behind a firewall itself, so it is protected from attacks from the internet, but our production network is also behind a similar firewall and is protected from wireless. Please see the Offsite Access FAQ for info on connecting when on our wireless network.
For further information, please see the series of searchable FAQs at http://www.mcs.anl.gov/faq. If you need help with this, feel free to visit the help desk.