Mac OS X
Welcome to the CELS home for Mac OS.
If you are interested in sharing information with other MCS Mac users, have questions that other Mac users might be able to answer, or want updates about the evolving CELS Mac environment, please subscribe to the MCS e-mail list mac-users. To subscribe, visit the subscription management page.
If you don't want to receive mac-users e-mail, but would occasionally like to check postings to the list, you can subscribe, but choose no mail delivery as an option. That allows you to view the archive at https://lists.mcs.anl.gov/mailman/private/mac-users/.
Mac OS X Software
NOTE: If you are not in CELS, you must contact your own IT support to install this software.
You may need to be on an internal network to download these packages:
- Eracent: required for installing Adobe, Parallels or Microsoft products. Recommended for all machines.
- Adobe Acrobat Professional
- The Lab has a site-wide agreement with Adobe for their software. For any Adobe product, please see your respective Help Desk for installation.
- The Lab has a site-wide agreement with Parallels. Please see your respective Help Desk for installation of Parallels.
- Microsoft Office 2016
- Licensed per computer. Install the Eracent package and then E-mail email@example.com to notify us you've installed it.
- Avast Mac Security (External Link)
- Cisco Systems VPN Client
- You must request access to the VPN. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to be added.
- Endnote X8
- Mac (backup) Client, documentation *(External Link)
- Send an email to email@example.com to have a TSM account set up for your machine.
- LibreOffice.org Free alternative to Office.
- DOE Warning Banner
The following packages are not available for general download, and are purchased on an as-needed basis. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you wish to order a copy.
- VMWare Fusion
Securing a Mac
We recommend the following best practices for securing you Mac.
Install the latest Mac OS patches and security updates
Apple releases patch and security updates regularly. New vulnerabilities are often the target of attackers. We recommend that you apply Apple patches and security updates as soon as they are released. When critical security updates are released we will notify all MCS users; for less important updates we will notify individuals subscribed to the mac-users e-mail list.
Disabling services/Enabling the Mac firewall
When on potentially hostile networks you should disable all unnecesary services and enable the Mac OS firewall. The MCS network, or your home network if it sits behind a NAT, would not be considered hostile. Starbucks or any other public WiFi is generally considered hostile.
From the "Sharing" System Preference:
- In the Firewall tab turn the Firewall on
- In the Firewall tab disable all ports
- In the Services tab disable all services
- In the Internet tab turn Internet Sharing off
If you need to share, only enable the necessary services or ports while you are actively using them.
Consider AntiVirus software
To protect your Mac from e-mail viruses you should not open attachments unless you know the sender, were expecting that attachment, and you know what it is. If you receive an unexpected attachment from someone you know, you should confirm that they intended on sending it before opening it.
For extra security, you can also install Avast Antivirus, available on the Mac Software page. It will detect and neutralize infected e-mails and disk images.
Argonne also provides McAfee antivirus for lab-managed machines. Contact email@example.com to get it installed on your machine.
Mac backup using TSM
Before you can backup your Mac with Tivoli Storage Manager (TSM) e-mail systems the name of your Mac computer and request that we register it for TSM backups. Once it's registered install the TSM client available on the Mac Software page. After it's installed launch "TSM Mac X Backup" from the Tivoli Storage Manager directory.
The first windows displayed will be titled "TSM Client Configuration Assistant". For each configuration assistant page (1 - 6) choose the following options:
- Which task do you wish to perform? -> Create a new preferences file
- TSM server name: pcbackup
- Server Address: pcbackup.mcs.anl.gov; don't change the default port 1500
- What is the TSM node name to use? <you_fully_qualified_mcs_hostname>
- Domain and include/exclude list: select "Domain list" or "Include/Exclude" as necessary
- Select "Finish"
Finally, select the Backup, Restore, Archive, or Retrieve button to perform operations.
Apple Mail configuration