Faxing in TCS
From CELS IT Wiki
Revision as of 18:52, 17 January 2012 by Dolson (→Incoming Fax to 630-252-5986 (main CELS fax line), 630-252-6585 (ALCF fax line), and 630-252-6104 (admin fax number from 221))
This document applies to users in MCS, CELS, and ALCF.
Outgoing Fax from TCS
- There are 4 CELS Canon copiers configured for sending faxes. Each one identifies itself with the main CELS fax number (630-252-5986)
- pr-1180 - 1st floor Oasis
- pr-2d11-color - 2nd floor open area near the Helpdesk (currently not available for faxing)
- pr-3168 - 3rd floor Oasis
- pr-4165 - 4th floor Oasis
- Canon Fax instructions
- Put your document face up in the scanner feeder.
- Go to the "Send" menu on the copier.
- Select Fax from the available options.
- Enter the phone number, dialing 7 first for an outside line.
- Press the start button.
- A report will print telling you if your fax was sent successfully.
Incoming Fax to 630-252-5986 (main MCS fax line), 630-252-6585 (ALCF fax line), and 630-252-6104 (admin fax number from 221)
- Faxes sent to the 3 numbers above will be dropped onto the MCS filesystem (/mcs/incomingfax) to be picked up.
- Files are named according to date and time received.
- Faxes can also be retrieved via the web at https://inside.mcs.anl.gov/fax
- Note that you must be onsite or on VPN to access this site, use your MCS Unix credentials to authenticate to the page
- After your fax has been retrieved, you are encouraged to delete it from the filesystem, which you can do from any MCS workstation.
- cd to /mcs/incomingfax and type rm filename. Otherwise, it will be deleted automatically after 30 days.
- You can subscribe to be notified of new faxes at the faxwatch list page.
- The OCR results from the faxes are often hilarious.